Today was good. We had great wind (averaging around 15 knots all day -- definitely not typical for the doldrums), and our new drifter sail did its job perfectly, speeding us right along at the pace of a brisk walk. There are, of course, any number of things we could do to go faster, but we're not a racing crew. We're just out here for fun, so we want the trip to be as comfortable and as enjoyable as possible, seasickness notwithstanding. (Also, in case anyone was inclined to take it literally (Hi, Mom!), I don't have bronchitis, pneumonia, or tuberculosis. Just a cough and a sore throat. I'm trying to keep it to myself -- no community cup for me right now -- but I'll be pretty surprised if I'm successful.)
We had sunshine all day and got to do a little teak surfing this afternoon. We kept an eye out for sharks and didn't see any. We didn't see any jellyfish either, but a lot of them saw us and found us worth investigating. They cut our water time a little short but I don't think they'll deter us from trying again tomorrow.
Provisioning for this trip was a completely different experience from last time. We were doing it in Hawaii, of course, at a great distance from home, but we were also doing it at the last minute. It really just means that we're having lots more prepared and convenience foods than before. Grace and I did the shopping and planned for a couple of special occasion meals, like Father's Day. We didn't get to have the ice cream bars we'd planned yesterday, so we pulled them out today at lunch and discovered that they were more like salted caramel flavored foam. Whatever. We poured them into bowls and drank 'em up. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't recommend it. The girls have also now had their first experience with Velveeta (they gave it two thumbs down), and today we introduced them to Chikin in a Biskit crackers with Easy Cheese. Even I thought it was gross, and I used to love that stuff. Needless to say, it also got two thumbs down.
Tonight, Nora prepared a family comfort food favorite, garlicky scrambled eggs and bacon with rice. It was perfect. We finished it off with some chocolate bars that had melted and re-formed. We're experimenting with alternative textures.
We had an election at dinner last night to name our windvane, Jason's new best friend. I lobbied hard for Marshawn, but the girls both voted for Wendy. Boring.
We have lots of minutes left on our satellite phone subscription, so we're going to try to send photos occasionally. If it works, here's a picture of Wendy.
Latitude: 10.1602N
Longitude: 155.7230W
https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?zoom=4&size=600x300&markers=color:purple%7C10.1584,-155.7218
Sabrina Jones / A: We haven't done any fishing yet, but maybe tomorrow. I'm excited to hear about your trip to Alaska!

So fun to read these entries. Take care of yourself, Polly! Happy sailing, Thompson Crew!
ReplyDelete